Friday, December 7, 2012

CHARLIE CONDOU - No.555

“I DO” MOVIE ARRIVES IN SYDNEY
David W Ross
david_w_ross: Did u see we're showing in Sydney? :) RT @Confidential_CC: @david_w_ross @idothemovie #F_O_L_L_O_W__F_R_I_D_A_Y and hugs from Oz x
Blog4CharlieCondou
Confidential_CC: @david_w_ross @IDoTheMovie WELL DONE YOU x

IS IT SAFE, CHARLIE?
ADAMBLEASE2010
ADAMBLEASE2010: @Charliecondou Just been tweeted by "blogforcharliecondou". The tweets have links to websites in them. Is it safe? x
Charliecondou
Charliecondou: @ADAMBLEASE2010 yep, all fine
ADAMBLEASE2010
ADAMBLEASE2010: @Charliecondou okie dokie x
Blog4CharlieCondou
Confidential_CC: @ADAMBLEASE2010 yes it is safe - you were blogged that's why you were sent the links - the blog is 2 years old it's all for @charliecondou
ADAMBLEASE2010
ADAMBLEASE2010: @Confidential_CC Ok, cool.
Blog4CharlieCondou
Confidential_CC: @ADAMBLEASE2010 Charlie and I have known each other for 4 years on Twitter and the CCC blog will be 2 in April *he's almost famous ya know*

AND THE WINNER IS . . .
OutInTheCityMag
OutInTheCityMag: We are proud to say @Charliecondou will be presenting the @OutInTheCityMag Readers Awards in April. Voting is open now http://t.co/28O4ioID

THE NEXT XMAS HIT 
Charlie Condou
Charliecondou: Best Christmas song ever! I'm determined to make it number 1 this year RT @Palomafaith "It's Xmas and I hate you" - https://t.co/PKHT5nij 
Charlie Condou
Charliecondou: And the video is cute too @Palomafaith


RE TWEETS OF THE DAY
Charliecondou
Charliecondou: RT @PlatonicParents: Thank you @Charliecondou for taking part in the LGBT co-parenting study! Anyone else interested in a £20 Amazon voucher for taking part?
Charliecondou
Charliecondou: RT @mrjamieeast: WOW (via @cheesyhel) Nothing like affirming a positive outlook to a young woman is there...

ROYAL PARENTING 
Charlie Condou
Charliecondou: Is there NO news about Kate Middleton's pregnancy today?? I cant cope with this news blackout!!
Paul Burston
PaulBurston: @Charliecondou this just in. "Kate still pregnant". There. Happy now?
Charlie Condou
Charliecondou: @PaulBurston oh thank god
EllaKenion
EllaKenion: @Charliecondou Ha I love you super daddy
Charlie Condou
‏Charliecondou: @EllaKenion Its very distressing Ella. Like that time they didn’t play Adele on Magic FM for A WHOLE DAY
Ian Marber
IanMarber: @Charliecondou well, it is the morning and we know what happens in the mornings....
Charlie Condou
Charliecondou: @IanMarber Yes but I want photos!!!!
Blog4CharlieCondou
‏Confidential_CC: @Charliecondou 2 Oz radio DJs are in hot water b/c they phoned cousin Will&Kate's nurse for a prank .... They may be beheaded x

PINK PARENTING
Pink Parenting
QUESTION: You've featured celebrities such as Ricky Martin and Rufus Wainwright in Pink Parenting, as well as Nicole Kidman and Sarah Jessica Parker in Fertility Road. What has been your favourite of the celebrity interviews you've worked on?
ANSWER: Giorgio Severi, editor of Pink Parenting, actually enjoyed the interview with the actor Charlie Condou of Coronation Street the most as he was just so down to earth. Giorgio could really relate to his story (featured in issue three of Pink Parenting) on how he became a father.

Read the complete Pink Parenting article HERE

LUCKY THE SIXPENCE
FoxyLorri64: @SirThomasWynn Hi Tom....just a few lines hoping this finds you well and to let you know I posted something to you today hoping this time it reaches you xx

Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynn: Dear blog reader, my friend Lorraine (@FoxyLorri64), tried throughout 2012 to send 2 previous presents using UK post both of which didn't make it to Australia! The mails have just vanished! Someone somewhere, is enjoying my novelty pen light and my cards!  Lorraine’s third attempt at sending me a present has worked – this sixpence is indeed LUCKY! I suggest you rub your screen to bring you luck in 2013…trust me I'm slightly psychic. 
Note: This post is No.555 which also means good luck in Asian countries especially Korea.

MUM’S THE WORD
NB.FOR MY OVERSEAS READERS,
NANCY CATO
IS AN ESTEEMED OZ NOVELIST AND FORMER TV PRESENTER.
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 #F_O_L_L_O_W__F_R_I_D_A_Y and hugs from down yonder in Newcastle x
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne : Hiya Tom & thank you for FF. Been away & now moving house bit by bit. Officially BeachBum on Monday. How are you doing?
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 live in retirement now am old and washed up *will be 55 next year* x Have a nice seachange!
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne If you're 'old and washed up' at 55 I must be mummified
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 from now on I shall call you Mummy Cato x
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne : excuse me Tom...but from now on you shall call me Madam. ;0D 
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 OK Madam Mummy Cato x
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne : Too cheeky Tom. Be very afraid.
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 awww OK I'll be good otherwise Santa won't come!!!
Nancy Cato
‏nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne Too late! I cancelled your orders an hour ago.
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 there is only one word *BUGGER*
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne Now even his reindeer won't talk to you.
Tom In Oz
‏SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 seems I am doomed to have another Christmas like last year then 
*sigh*
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne You don't fool me...you had a fantastic Christmas last year...spoilt rotten.
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 yes, I was spoilt by the Mrs...erm...Santa gave me a lump of Newcastle coal in my stocking! [Well, that's what it looked like!]
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne Too much info Tom. Haha!
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @nancycato1 If I don't catch you on Twitter beforehand have a great holiday time and Merry Christmas to you and yours x x x
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @SirThomasWynne I shall, dear Tom. And may it bring you totally unexpected happiness.
Wolfie Rankin
Wolfie_Rankin: @nancycato1 @SirThomasWynne *waves* Tom, why the name change?
Nancy Cato
nancycato1: @Wolfie_Rankin Trying to avoid certain people? @SirThomasWynne
Tom In Oz
SirThomasWynne: @Wolfie_Rankin @nancycato1 I am retired, I am a free man, my real name is Sir Thomas Wynn - no longer owned by the Dpt of Education
Wolfie Rankin
Wolfie_Rankin: @nancycato1 @SirThomasWynne Fair enough :) Oh how I loved my final minutes of school

It's time to turn the tide on gay teachers
06 DECEMBER 2012 BY SHAUN DELLENTY

Deputy head teacher and anti-bullying in schools pioneer, Shaun Dellenty, explains why LGBT pupils need out gay teachers

Back when I was at school, the most exciting things about teachers were knowing their first names and guessing if they were gay. I’m now 44, a school leader, the children call me Shaun and they know I’m gay. At Alfred Salter Primary School in London we have a fantastic relationship built upon high aspiration, authenticity and mutual respect. Three years ago I reconsidered my desire to be labelled as an effective teacher first and a gay man last when data showed that 75% of our pupils were being subjected to daily homophobic abuse. Our data clearly resonated with the data on a national level and suddenly I felt morally obliged to be authentic about my identity in order to provide a role model of a productive, respected gay teacher. In this way I hoped to make the subject of  homophobic bullying and language more real, more relevant. ‘It’s not relevant to being a teacher’, I hear some of you cry. But some children have lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender family and friends. Once I was open, they talked more openly about their gay siblings and LGBT friends. Some of the children in our primary schools will already know they are different. Some children in our schools don’t adhere to ‘accepted’ gender stereotypes and struggle to fit in. Ask a room full of LGBT people when they knew they were different, some will say four, some will say 24. An openly gay teacher can provide a beacon of hope to those born LGBT, a vital thing in a frightening world that at times calls for the death of LGBT people or one in which some people choose to interpret wonderful ancient texts as a means of justifying their own hatred and fear of difference. The representation of a diverse range of role models within school communities provides a crucial point of reference and also assists the school community in working through their own prejudice and misconceptions. Since I came out at school, I've developed a programme to tackle homophobic bullying called ‘Inclusion For All’. We are the only primary school in the UK, possibly the world, supporting other schools in tackling homophobic bullying. As a result of media interest in this work and in my website, I am contacted by teachers globally and nationally, some of whom are gay. An emerging theme is that of heads not supporting teachers coming out as gay; this saddens me. My own headteacher supports everyone in the school community to be authentic. Why then would he, as a man in a position of great responsibility treat me differently. Unless of course he lacked relevant training or bore misconceptions, fear or prejudice himself? Recently The Guardian ran an article which reported evidence that two thirds of LGBT teachers experience discrimination or harassment at work and explored the difficulties LGBT teachers can face in the form of unsupportive heads and unchallenged homophobia. The whole issue of gay teachers, even in 2012, can spark debate, which in itself can frighten off LGBT teachers; I think this is a great shame. ‘You would say that’, shout the detractors. But my prime directives as a school leader are to get the best people for the job and to ensure all the pupils have a safe, happy and successful education. There might be some potentially awful LGBT teachers out there, but there might also be some brilliant LGBT teachers who can serve as fantastic role models for children; yet tragically remain scared of prejudicial treatment or of being labelled as paedophiles. Ah yes, the paedophile thing...let me tell you a true story. It’s Christmas 1992 and I have just started my four-year teacher training course. I'm sat at the dinner table with my extended family. One asks me how my course is going and then he goes on to say: ‘Isn’t it a bit tricky for you, being gay around children?’ ‘Why would it be tricky?’ I ask, seeking clarification. ‘Well you know, the boys,’ he says. ‘Go on,’ I reply. He continues: ‘In PE and swimming, don’t you find it hard not to look at the little boys?’ To this day I can recall the feeling of bread sauce and turkey attempting to regurgitate itself in my rapidly dehydrating throat. There is, as far as I know, no guide book for responding sensitively when being accused of being a paedophile, so I took several deep breaths and replied: ‘When we are all on the beach swimming with your niece, or when you are getting her into her pyjamas, do you find it hard not to look at her?’ ‘Don’t be horrible’ he said, his face reddening. 'It’s not the same thing’. And there we have it. I am deeply saddened that there are still people today with misconceptions about LGBT teachers. More positively, experience has also shown me that many people in schools welcome challenge, change and the opportunity to talk out their fears and misconceptions. In addition, the Equality Act 2010 lists sexual orientation as a ‘protected characteristic’ and schools watchdog OFSTED are actively looking for evidence that schools are tackling homophobic bullying and fostering good relationships between the wonderfully diverse groups of people that make up our school communities. The teaching profession is highly challenging and highly rewarding; we need the very best teachers and role models in our schools to give the best life chances to all our children. Any headteacher that can’t support a great LGBT teacher to be themselves I personally believe is failing in their duty of care for pupils and staff. Such headteachers are sadly missing a huge opportunity to provide a diverse range of role models for their pupils. Ultimately whether the parents like it, whether certain religious people like it or whether headteachers like it, some of the children we teach will be straight and some will be LGBT and everything else in between. It’s time we turned the tide on LGBT teachers and recruited a more diverse and representative teaching workforce for the sake of countless young people yet to come.

LOOK AT ME, KIMMY!
Some snaps of Kym Lomas and Charlie Condou at ITV Manchester.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,:)

    I am thrilled that Lucky the Sixpence reached you where all other's failed to! lol

    May it bring you all the good luck and happiness throughout the coming New Year. I have no need to rub the screen as I already have good luck in knowing you :O)

    Much love and hugs always xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Loz x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete